Registration for the 2020 Boston Marathon opens on Monday, September 9, 2019 at 10:00 a.m. ET. The B.A.A. will use the same process to register qualified participants as in recent years, allowing the fastest qualifiers to register first. Registration will be held entirely online at www.baa.org and qualifying performances achieved on or after September 15, 2018 may be submitted for entry. The 124th annual race will mark the 35th consecutive year that John Hancock will serve as principal sponsor.
2020 BOSTON MARATHON REGISTRATION DATES
- Monday, September 9 at 10:00 a.m. ET: Participants who have met the qualifying standard by 20 minutes or more may apply for entry.
- Wednesday, September 11 at 10:00 a.m. ET: Participants who have met the qualifying standard by 10 minutes or more may apply for entry (if space remains).
- Friday, September 13 at 10:00 a.m. ET: Participants who have met the qualifying standard by 5 minutes or more may apply for entry (if space remains).
- Saturday, September 14 at 5:00 p.m. ET: Registration closes for the first week.
- Monday, September 16 at 10:00 a.m. ET: All participants who have met the qualifying standard may apply for entry (if space remains).
- Wednesday, September 18 at 5:00 p.m. ET: Registration closes for the second week.
If space remains after September 18, then on Monday, September 23 at 10:00 a.m. ET, registration will reopen to anyone who meets the qualifying standards on a first-come, first-served basis. Registration will remain open until the maximum field size is reached.
Registration for Para Athletics Divisions and Adaptive Programs will open on September 9, 2019 and follow the same procedures as detailed above. Registration for Para Athletics Divisions and Adaptive Programs will occur on a “rolling admission” schedule, and will remain open until the maximum field size is reached or until October 27, 2019.
The Para Athletic Divisions include a competitive wheelchair division for athletes who use racing wheelchairs in track and road racing events and hold a national or World Para Athletics classification. Para Athletics Divisions also include competitive opportunities for ambulatory classified Para athletes with vision impairments and athletes who run with prostheses or have an upper limb impairment.
The B.A.A. will not predict or provide an anticipated date for when the race will reach its maximum field of qualified applicants. However, the B.A.A.'s website (www.baa.org), Facebook page, and Twitter account will provide updates throughout the registration process and will answer many frequently asked questions during this time period. These pages will be continuously updated throughout registration.
The registration fee for the 2020 Boston Marathon for qualifiers is $205 USD for United States residents and $255 USD for international residents.
2020 BOSTON MARATHON OPEN DIVISION QUALIFYING STANDARDS - OPEN DIVISION
Applicants for the 2020 Boston Marathon must meet the designated time standard that corresponds with their age group and gender in a certified marathon on or after September 15, 2018. Proof of qualification must accompany each athlete's application and participants are required to be 18 years or older on race day (April 20, 2020). All standards below are based on official submitted net time and age groups are determined based on a participant’s age on Boston Marathon race day.
|18-34||3hrs 00min 00sec||3hrs 30min 00sec|
|35-39||3hrs 05min 00sec||3hrs 35min 00sec|
|40-44||3hrs 10min 00sec||3hrs 40min 00sec|
|45-49||3hrs 20min 00sec||3hrs 50min 00sec|
|50-54||3hrs 25min 00sec||3hrs 55min 00sec|
|55-59||3hrs 35min 00sec||4hrs 05min 00sec|
|60-64||3hrs 50min 00sec||4hrs 20min 00sec|
|65-69||4hrs 05min 00sec||4hrs 35min 00sec|
|70-74||4hrs 20min 00sec||4hrs 50min 00sec|
|75-79||4hrs 35min 00sec||5hrs 05min 00sec|
|80 and over||4hrs 50min 00sec||5hrs 20min 00sec|
PARA ATHLETICS DIVISION QUALIFYING STANDARDS - WHEELCHAIR DIVISION
|T53 / T54 / T54||18 - 39||2hrs 00min 00sec||2hrs 25min 00sec|
|40 - 49||2hrs 15min 00sec||2hrs 40min 00sec|
|50 and over||2hrs 30min 00sec||2hrs 55min 00sec|
|T51 / T52 / T33||18 - 39||2hrs 45min 00sec||3hrs 10min 00sec|
|40 - 49||3hrs 00min 00sec||3hrs 25min 00sec|
|50 and over||3hrs 15min 00sec||3hrs 40min 00sec|
PARA ATHLETICS DIVISION QUALIFYING STANDARDS - VISION IMPAIRMENT
|T13||18 - 39||3hrs 40min 00sec||4hrs 10min 00sec|
|40 - 49||3hrs 55min 00sec||4hrs 25min 00sec|
|50 and over||4hrs 15min 00sec||4hrs 45min 00sec|
|T11 / T12||18 - 39||3hrs 50min 00sec||4hrs 20min 00sec|
|40 - 49||4hrs 05min 00sec||4hrs 35min 00sec|
|50 and over||4hrs 25min 00sec||4hrs 55min 00sec|
PARA ATHLETICS DIVISION QUALIFYING STANDARDS - UPPER OR LOWER LIMB IMPAIRMENT
|Class||Qualifying Standard (Both Men and Women, Age 18 and over)|
|T61 - T64||5hrs 40min 00sec|
|T45 / T46||4hrs 55min 00sec|
Visit Para Athletics Divisions and Adaptive Programs of the 2020 Boston Marathon for all of the Para Athletics Divisions and Adaptive Programs qualifying times and entry procedures.
- Though the B.A.A. will notify registrants upon the completion of their registration form, athletes are not officially entered into the race until their qualifying time has been verified. The amount of time it takes for qualifying times to be verified varies for each individual athlete and may take several days.
- The qualification window for the 2020 Boston Marathon will remain open until the conclusion of registration for the 2020 Boston Marathon.
- The qualification window for the 125th Boston Marathon on April 19, 2021 will be announced following registration for the 2020 Boston Marathon.
- Registration dates and qualifying standards for the 2021 Boston Marathon have not yet been announced.