Dear Community Member,
On Sunday, June 25, 2017, the Boston Athletic Association will host the seventh annual B.A.A. 10K, presented by Brigham and Women’s Hospital, which will be the B.A.A.’s first event following its successful 121st Boston Marathon on Monday, April 17.
Here is some important information about this year’s race:
Start Time: 8:00 a.m.
Start and Finish Location: Charles Street between Boston Common and Boston Public Garden
Distance: 10K (6.2 miles)
Organizer: Boston Athletic Association
Field Size: 10,000 entrants
The B.A.A. 10K’s flat, fast course starts and finishes at historic Boston Common. It is certified per the guidelines set forth by USA Track & Field. The 6.2-mile course is a scenic tour through Boston's Back Bay, passing notable neighborhoods and attractions including the campus of Boston University and Kenmore Square.
The race begins on Charles Street where runners will gather near Beacon Mall. From Charles Street, they will head south and turn right onto Boylston Street, right onto Arlington Street, left onto Commonwealth Avenue (westbound), underneath Massachusetts Avenue, right onto Charlesgate East, left onto Beacon Street, right onto Bay State Road. After runners enter the Boston University campus, they then make a left onto University Drive, and right onto Commonwealth Avenue (westbound).
Just prior to the 5K mark, past Babcock Street, runners will turn around and return on Commonwealth Avenue (eastbound) and take a slight left onto Beacon Street at Kenmore Square. They then turn right onto Charlesgate West, left onto Commonwealth Avenue (eastbound), under Massachusetts Avenue, right onto Arlington Street, left onto Boylston Street and around the Public Garden to turn left onto Charles Street.
Visit the following link to view the course map: http://www.baa.org/races/10k/event-information/course-map.aspx
ROAD CLOSURE INFORMATION
Streets and roadways which comprise and abut the 10K course (including, but not limited to Charles Street, Commonwealth Avenue, and Granby Street) will be closed to vehicular traffic on the morning of June 25. Roads adjacent to the course will close at approximately 7:30 a.m. Charles Street will close at 5:00 a.m. and reopen approximately at 11:30 a.m. The race begins at 8:00 a.m.
- Beacon Street will remain open throughout race morning.
- Roads will reopen later that morning per judgment of the Boston Police Department.
NO PARKING ZONES
- Beacon Street: South side (Boston Common side), from Charles Street to Joy Street, 12:00 p.m. Saturday through 12:00 p.m. Sunday
- Bay State Road: Both sides, from Charlesgate West to #23 Bay State Road - all parking spaces and from #25 Bay State Road to Granby Street - metered parking spaces only Sunday 6:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Boylston Street: North side (Public Garden side), from Arlington Street to Charles Street, Sunday 6:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Commonwealth Avenue: North side (of westbound roadway), from Raleigh Street to Alcorn Street, Sunday 6:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Granby Street: Both sides, from Bay State Road to Commonwealth Avenue, Sunday 6:00 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
- Charles Street: Both sides, from Boylston Street to Beacon Street, Sunday 12:01 a.m. to 12:00 p.m.
BOSTON COMMON GARAGE
Closes at 5:00 a.m. to cars entering the garage. Reopens roughly at 11:00 a.m. when we reopen the road. The garage will always allow exit traffic.